Software architects usually work for big companies and consulting firms. There is no need for dedicated software architect positions in small companies since software architecture is less important for small systems. In many small to mid scope projects software engineers and senior programmers would fulfill the roles of software architect.
To make yourself a stand-out candidate for software architect positions, your resume should present strong skills in the following areas:
- Software development life cycle (SDLC)
- Mainstream software framework (.NET, J2EE)
- Software design methodologies
- Industry standard design patterns (GoF patterns, MVC, etc.)
- Database systems (RDBMS)
Also, software architect should have in-depth knowledge in information technology, IT infrastructure, and industry trends. Industry experience in sectors such as insurance, banking, health care, etc. are helpful too. In addition, communication and leadership skills are also highly expected.
Software Architect Resume Sample
Larry D. WongSUMMARY
Software Architect for J2EE and .NET Platforms
• Extensive experience in enterprise software development life-cycle.
• Proven expertise in software architecture design on J2EE platform and Microsoft .NET framework.
• In-depth knowledge and experience in information systems architecture, software design methodologies, software design patterns, and object oriented design.
• Experienced in managing RDBMS database servers and operating systems (Windows and Sun Solaris UNIX).
• Proactive and result-oriented leader adept in mentoring and motivating the dynamic team to exemplary performance.
• Effective communicator adept in delivering superior customer service and bridging the business and technical communities.
• SCEA - Sun Certified Enterprise Architect for J2EE Technology
• CISSP - Certified Information System Security Professional
• OCP - Oracle Certified Database Administrator
• MCSD - Microsoft Certified Solution Developer (C#.NET)
Software Architect 9/2003 – Present
Endo Health Care Supplies Inc., Detroit, MI
• Project lead for planning and architecture of a Microsoft .NET production management system that was integrated into third party channel system (web services) and internal J2EE PLM system. Documented strategic plan, guideline and standards for developing .NET based software systems.
• Implemented J2EE based software platform and re-engineered business process from legacy system to distributed J2EE system. Provided standards, guidelines, and mentoring to establish webLogic and WebSphere based application development and deployment architecture and integration strategy with existing enterprise systems including Siebel CRM, Metaphase PLM, and JD Edward ERP.
Lead Architect and DBA 2/2001 – 9/2003
Great Lakes City Bank, Detroit, MI
• Designed the enterprise object framework and web application architecture for a real-time internet banking system. Designed the integration of the internet banking system backend mainframe banking systems and transaction process monitoring system (TPM). Used Rational Rose Enterprise to document architecture design in UML. Designed Oracle database for the system's backend data processing and transaction.
Senior Software Engineer 5/1998 – 2/2001
Nexcom Corporation, Detroit, MI
• Designed and developed a web based software for internet secure document exchange and delivery. Designed and developed an internet based PKI enterprise key management system.
• Designed the architecture of a large Oracle database as data center backend for high volume transactions.
• J2EE technology and Microsoft .NET framework
• UML and architecture design tools Rational Rose, Together Control Center, and Structure Builder.
• Software design methodologies - Rational Unified Process (RUP), eXtreme Project (XP), Zachman Framework, and ISO9001.
• Database design tools Oracle Designer, SDesigner, and ERWin
• RDBMS Oracle and IBM DB2, OLTP/OLAP and data warehousing.
• C, C++, Java, PowerBuilder, EJB, SQL, JSP, XML
• Web Services (SOAP) - .NET web services and Apache AXIS.
• Application server: BEA WebLogic, IBM WebSphere, and JBoss.
• Security - X.500/PKI, PKCS, SSL, encryptions, firewall.
• Enterprise system - Oracle Financial, SAP ERP, Siebel CRM, Metaphase PLM.
• M.S. in MIS, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
• B.S. in Engineering, Michigan State University, Detroit, MI
Founding Member of Worldwide Institute of Software Architects (WWISA)
Member of Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
Member of Association for Computing Machinery (ACM)